Monday, April 19, 2010

Promise kept and new projects completed.

I promised on  Sew A Beginner's blog that I would wear a garment I made before the weekend was through.  So for our Sunday morning brunch downtown I wore the blue knit dress I made with a cute fuzzy cardie I bought at Salvation Army.  The dress has small flowers on it the same color as the cardie.

This is really turquoise not teal as it appears here. 

What I leanred from wearing this garment is that the neckline is too wide for me.  As I moved around this would fall off my shoulder if I was not careful.  I like this pattern so I will re-draft the neckline to make it narrower.  By the way the cardie was a bargain at $2.99!  I recently was donating some things and took a look around.  I bought a bunch of tops, jackets, etc. for $1.99, $2.99 or $3.99.  Some of these items were top name brands and new.  Yeah for me!

Projects I have completed were the new red skirt from the previous "was going to be a dress".  This was the red slinky knit that was torturing me but I won HAHA!


Red Slinky Knit Skirt

I also made a four gore skirt from a purple micro suede I purchased at Hancock's Fabrics from their bargain fabric section.  It was so soft and the skirt was easy to make.  I hemed it by hand which was a breeze.



I am thinking maybe to wear this in the fall with a pair of boots.  But who knows maybe I'll come up with a way to wear it this summer too.

This is a vintage baby pattern I found in the sewing machine cabinet of the Bernina I picked up at my mother's.  I tried it out in a really inexpensive (yep, that means cheap) cotton from Wal-Mart.  The pattern was so easy and this was the first garment I have made from cotton.  Oh my gosh, how easy is cotton to sew with?  And I did Hong Kong seams!  I did not have the 1/4 inch elastic needed to finish the little panties so that is for another day.  I think the pattern is too small for the child I had in mind but it gave me more confidence to try sewing with cotton and on baby garments again.




Still need to perfect gathering as you can see


Hong Kong Seams in top



This is the new project I started.  I selected the jacket to sew and the fabric is a knit which costs $2.00 per yard.  So no fear on messing up a really expensive fabric.  Just the usual fear I have when I select a fabric with a design.  I never can foresee how it will look and sometimes that means I work on a really ugly garment before I can see where things are going. 

So what do you think?  Will this paisley design fabric look good with this jacket pattern?  Do you have any hints on selecting fabrics to patterns that would help?

2 comments:

  1. Yes! It is "sew" easy to sew up things in cotton.

    I say go for the paisley print in a jacket, although that's probably because I have made a committment to using bold prints the last few years. For far too many years my stash was comprised of solid colors, probably because I just felt paralyzed about using a print and not knowing if it fit the pattern. If a jacket in paisley was your first thought, go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the paisley fabric, and I think that it would make a nice jacket. You can always wear it with simple solid colors so that the jacket is the star!

    I look forward to what you come up with, and thanks for all your support with my blog! Your my blog buddy now = )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. It is always so nice to hear from you :)